Bridging the Gap

Sunday, March 13

Over the last two weeks I've been thinking that I would really like to dust off this blog of mine. So many changes have happened over the last year. It would have been nice to journal each and every direction our lives have turned.

Here's the overview:

The Move

In April of 2010, we moved to Bryan, TX. We live in a town home that is tucked away in a quiet neighborhood that is, at the same time, surrounded by all sorts of fun things to do. I love it here. A park is just a walk away and our gym is just a walk away in the other direction. There is also a dog park right down the road where Mandi and Larry can run free!

Do you remember this post where I said there were some major changes coming up? Probably not. Well, go read it if you can't remember. The big change was moving here. Since Justin was so involved in Clairmont, we decided moving to Clairmont's home was the best decision. Plus, driving back and forth from East Texas was killer!

Since we've moved here, Justin has left Clairmont. You'll have to read all about that on his blog though. No matter why we originally moved here, I love that we are here now!

Work

Obviously, along with the location change came a new job for me. I got a job at a local allergy and asthma clinic as a front-end receptionist. It was tough at first because my trainer didn't really want to train me, there was a lot of employee drama, and I was just the new girl. Luckily, the office made several changes. The drama-ridden employees left, and we hired several positive people!

The most recent change was my promotion to Assistant Manager! I'm excited about this opportunity because I think I have mastered the receptionist role by now (5 years in the making) and look forward to learning something different.

Teaching

When we moved to Bryan I applied for the teaching program at Blinn College. (it is an awesome program!) I filled out the application, sent my records, collected references, and went through the interview process. I was excited about the opportunity to reach my goal of becoming a teacher despite the move away from SFA.

Unfortunately, the interviewing faculty members decided that I needed more professional experience in the public school system. I didn't make it and was crushed. This was now the third time this door was shut for me. There is no way I'd be able to make a living as a substitute teacher or teacher's aid in order to gain the needed experience. So for now, that door is shut.

A week or two after I received the letter of rejection, my office manager offered me the position of Assistant Manager. Today, schools here, and in the surrounding areas, are on hiring freezes, salary freezes, and giving bonuses to teachers who resign. I firmly believe that door was shut for a reason, and am okay with that now.

Justin

Shortly after Justin left Clairmont, he got a job as a social media marketer with our friend Ross who moved in to the town home behind us. This job has been a huge blessing for us, and is something Justin enjoys doing.

Justin has also played with various people, promoted different artists, and has made many friends in our community. He's been busy! To get more details, you must go visit Justin's blog, and read it for yourself!

~~~~~

And that catches you up to where we are now. Let's see where this goes...

0 comments: