Bookworm

Wednesday, July 30

I remember the moment everything seemed to "click" when I first started reading. I would read every single sign to my mom when we drove down Timberland Drive. I'm sure it was annoying. Especially when I exclaimed, "Mom! That food place is Whatta-Burger not Water-Burger!" I read everything aloud. Once my older cousin, Justina, said, "Would you read in your head for once!"
My parents had a lot of books for us kids to read. And I really am greatful to them for that. I've always wanted to do the same for my children. When I was in middle school I started collecting children's books so that I could one day give them to my kids. Every time there was a Book Fair I'd buy one children's book.
Here are some of my childhood books. I don't have them, but I plan to one day!
[It's Not Easy Being A Bunny-Part of the PJ Funny Bunny Series]
[Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss]
[The Berenstain Bears and the Messy Room]


[There's a Wocket in my Pocket by Dr. Seuss]
And let me tell you--nothing beats a good children's book! The gorgeous pictures, funny characters, and lessons taught are priceless. I read my fair share of "adult books", but I still enjoy reading short stories.
So I love to read. That is one reason why I've chosen to teach general education. I think it would be very rewarding to witness that turning point for a child. They come into your class not knowing how to read and leave reading all the posters and things on your walls. I know it may not be just like that. One can dream though! No matter what grade I get, I do hope to show them that reading is fun.



Take a walk down memory lane with me...
What was your favorite children's book?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Definitely "Where the Wild Things Are" and the Babysitter Club series. I was a huge reader when I was younger, and I wish I had more time to be one now.

Anonymous said...

I am right there with you on reading. I think it's one of the most important skills I can teach my kid.
Here are a few of my favs:
The Adventures of Taxi Dog
Love You Forever
Stellaluna
Crickwing
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs
Chika Chika Boom Boom
Possum Come A-Knockin
If you Give a Mouse a Cookie
Alexander and the Terrible, No Good, Very Bad Day

Just to name a few...

Anonymous said...

Adrienne-I can't wait until I don't have to read books as a student so I can have more time for "fun reading".

Kalena-Dang, that's a list! From now on, you are my go-to-girl for children's books. :)

Anonymous said...

I liked the Fudge books. I also enjoyed "Snot Stew" when I got a bit older. I remember reading the "Buns" the rabbit books - like "Buns Travels Across America" (basically pictures of Buns the rabbit in front of statues or buildings of importance around the US). I got to meet Buns and I thought that was awesome.

Anonymous said...

I also love the books you listed and I have those in a box somewhere. I will share them with you when Logan grows out of them. My favorite books were anything by Shel Silverstien, Dr.Suess, and Peter cottontail were always on my favs list. Love you guys call us sometime. Happy Anniversary to you both. I hope you have many more and are as happy as dad and I are.