I'm Fine...AND YOU?

Thursday, March 1

I'm starting to realize just how fun "hands-on" classes can be. In my photography class I am learning to use Photoshop, and I have to say that it is so much fun! I am extremely impressed with my professor who goes out of his way to teach us by using his professional experience. Today he showed us how HE touches up photos in his studio. Unfortunately I haven't ran across too many teachers who do that...and I guess I'm reaching the point where it is beginning to frustrate me. I want to know how my professors have gotten where they are today. What things have they learned from this field they are trying to convince us is so amazing? It makes me happy to be able to use what I learn in class. :)

Oh, oh, oh! If you have been reading Justin's blog at all you'll know that we've been participating in Conversation Cafe. (a time when American students interact with international students to help them with their English) Another thing that is so much fun! And I think for the same reason. It is a time where everyone feels free just to ask others about themselves. The international students are so nice and are very willing to teach us about their culture and beliefs. They also want to learn about us! It seems that the English speaking students are even more open to each other about their lives. I enjoy listening to the students in my group and it really makes me feel bad that I haven't gotten out more. One chinese student was so surprised that I live in AMERICA and yet I have only been to a few states. They are in awe that a majority of us just stay in Texas while we have so much land to travel.

A couple students that I've talked with both times I've gone were explaining to me the importance of asking how someone is doing. One guy said that he was astonished that Americans say things like, "Whatsup", and "What are you doing?" when they greet one another. They said that they view it as meaning "What do you want?" or "Why are you calling me?" According to a chinese student named Bill, they've learned since middle school in their English classes that the proper way to greet someone (and the most considerate) is: "How are you?" and "I'm fine...AND YOU?" But when they come to America they find that very few people actually say that.

0 comments: